Sometimes you don’t have to work that hard to make something great. This Moroccan raw carrot salad is an extremely simple recipe that can be thrown together in minutes. It’s healthy, beautiful and delicious. It makes a beautiful side dish with lamb, beef, chicken or fish. Or serve it as a luncheon salad, over lightly-dressed greens with crumbled Feta cheese sprinkled on top.
The extensive use of spices in Moroccan cooking is not generally for adding heat to a recipe, but rather to add a delicious complexity and depth of flavor. A fusion of influences from a rich cultural history, in particular from the Arabs and Moors, has made Morocco famous for it’s exciting colorful cuisine.
HOW TO MAKE MOROCCAN RAW CARROT SALAD
Peel and trim the carrots. Set up your food processor with the shredder blade attachment. Feed the carrots in through the feeder tube. They will shred quickly and beautifully. Put them in a bowl with three tablespoons of chopped parsley. Whisk up the simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne. Toss the carrots with the dressing and there you have it – a beautiful, delicious moroccan raw carrot salad.
I hope you all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving – a break from work, some time with family, and lots of delicious food. The Thanksgiving feast always satisfies my appetite for the rich hearty comfort food of the season.
The combination of sunlight deprivation and an evolutionary need to bulk up for the cold winter makes me want (need) to indulge in heavy, rich, warm and inviting dishes. I look forward to many comforting roasts and stews in the coming months, but I’m also happy to have this festive healthy salad to throw into the mix.
More Delicious Moroccan Recipes
• Moroccan Lentil Soup
• Ras El Hanout Spice Mix
• Ras El Hanout Grilled Chicken Thighs
• Slow Cooker Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Chickpeas
• Spicy Moroccan Sweet Potato Stacks
• Moroccan Carrot Soup with Lemon Honey Yogurt
• North African Chicken Stew with Sweet Potatoes Apricots and Kale
Here’s the recipe for Moroccan Raw Carrot Salad. If you make this I hope you’ll come back to leave a comment, a rating, and let me know what you think!Print
MOROCCAN RAW CARROT SALAD
Bright in color and flavor: a fresh salad of shredded carrots, dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and Moroccan spices
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 10
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Morrocan
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and shredded in a food processor.
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley plus a few sprigs for garnishing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Parsley sprigs to garnish
- Put shredded carrots and chopped parsley in a large bowl
- Make dressing Whisk lemon juice and spices. Keep whisking while slowly adding the olive oil to emulsify the ingredients.
- Toss dressing with shredded carrots and parsley. Chill for an hour in the fridge and let flavors merge. Enjoy!
- Note: This salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days.