Here’s one of my all time Favorite Veggie Side Dishes. Shredded Brussels Sprouts are pan-browned for maximum caramelization. Then loads of scrumptious crispy fried shallots are piled on top. It’s an incredible combo of flavors. I could eat the whole platter by myself, in one sitting!
If you’re looking for a stellar Veggie Side Dish for a Special Occasion – this is it!
I love when vegetables take center stage. I’m always on the lookout for great vegetable recipes.
I found this recipe for shredded pan-browned brussels sprouts with crispy fried shallots in the Cooking Light Magazine way back when and it has become one of my most treasured special occasion recipes.
Just the site of this dish makes everyone at the table happy. And the flavors are incredible.
This is one of the best vegetable side dishes I know!
HOW TO MAKE SHREDDED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH CRISPY FRIED SHALLOTS
Start by preparing the shallots. Peel them and slice them nice and thin. Fry them slowly in oil, stirring occasionally, until they’re caramelized and crispy brown, about ten minutes. Drain them on a paper-towel-lined plate.
To prepare the Brussels sprouts, cut off their tough ends and slice them thinly, making two or three cuts per sprout, depending on their size.
Heat up cooking oil in a skillet – preferably cast iron. Cook the sprouts over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they are all golden brown, about 10 minutes. Browning Brussels sprouts this way caramelizes them and brings out their natural nuttiness.
Sprinkle the Brussels with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
To serve, transfer the shredded Brussels sprouts to a platter and pile those beautiful crispy fried shallots on top. Decorate with lemon slices, if you like.
The crispy fried shallots are like decadent icing on a healthy cake!
I have a deep love for Brussels sprouts.
If you’re a fan of amazing vegetable recipes, follow my Pinterest board – Exceptional Vegetables – where you can enjoy an ever-growing collection of stellar veggie recipes.
Here’s the recipe for pan-browned Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Fried Shallots. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a comment. I’d love to know what you think!Print
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Fried Shallots
An delicious veggie side dish – browned shredded brussels sprouts topped with delectable fried shallots.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts*, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 8 cups sliced)
- 3 large shallots, peeled, thinly sliced crosswise, separated into rings (about 2 cups of shallot rings)
- 1/2 cup canola oil for frying the shallots (don’t worry – most of the oil won’t make it into the final dish)
- 2 additional tablespoons canola oil for browning the brussels
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- *NOTE: When I suggest starting with 2 1/2 pounds of brussels sprouts, I’m assuming you will trim off the ends of the brussels sprouts and remove some of the damaged, touch outer leaves. After trimming, you should end up with about 8 cups of thinly sliced brussels.
- Fry the Shallots Set a plate on the counter with a double layer of paper towels on top. In a small skillet heat 1/2 cup oil over medium heat. When it’s hot enough to sizzle a shallot ring, add all the shallots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are all golden brown, about 10 minutes. Regulate the heat so they fry slowly and don’t burn. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the prepared plate to drain. Sprinkle them with a pinch of salt.
- Cook the Brussels Sprouts Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat in a large heavy skillet (preferably cast iron), until hot, but not smoking. Add the brussels sprouts and toss to coat them with oil. Cook, tossing occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, until brussels are lightly browned in spots and cooked through, but still crisp. Season them with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Sprinkle lemon juice on top and toss to coat.
- To Serve Mound brussels onto a platter. Scatter the shallots on top. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator for websites. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but nutrition information can vary based on many factors. If your health and well being is in question we recommend you check with a licensed dietitian or nutritionist.
[Originally published Nov 2014. Updated Nov 2018. Same delicious recipe with some writing tweaks and added nutritional information]